To help you prepare your items for storage, we have outlined below some useful packing, storage and moving tips:
• Purchase packing supplies from U Store-it.
• Try to use the same size of boxes. This will help efficiently utilise your rental unit space.
• Label all your boxes clearly.
• When disassembling household furniture, tape loose legs and hardware together so you don’t lose them.
• Wrap fine china in plain paper as inked paper may run. U Store-it sells ink-free newsprint sheets for this purpose.
• Pack books flat to protect their spines.
• Furniture with drawers can be utilised as storage places for small household items, pictures, knick-knacks, etc.
• Larger appliances make excellent packing cases for bedding, towels and other linens.
• Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty rubbish bins.
• Leave clothes in dressers, but make certain the drawers are not too heavy.
When moving your household items into a storage facility, plan to move in the heavy, bulky items first and place these items on the floor of your storage unit to provide a good stacking base.
If you're placing items in self storage, book U Store-it courtesy move-in truck. Or, if you hire movers, they can deliver directly into our depot.
Moving / Self Service Storage Suggestions
Typically the contents of a two-bedroom apartment or house can be stored in 2 x 37sq/ft storage units (8' high). Our knowledgeable on-site managers can provide helpful advice about your self-storage requirements.
Refrigerators and/or freezers should be thoroughly dry and stored with doors slightly ajar. Some goods can be stored inside large appliances and boxes can be stacked on top of cookers, refrigerators and freezers. Make sure that cookers and cooking equipment are cleaned before they are stored.
Wrap large lamps and place them in boxes and pack delicate lamp shades separately. Do not use newsprint to wrap lamp shades or any other goods that may be damaged by ink stains. Do not store heavy items on cartons containing lamp shades.
Mirrors, windows and screens:
These items should be stored on end, not flat.
Insure your goods in storage
U Store-it can insure your goods for £1.00 per £1000.00 insured per week, as per our insurance policy. Or check with your household insurance for coverage. Remember, if it's worth storing, it's worth insuring.
Prohibited storage goods
You alone control access to your storage space, therefore, never store illegal goods, cash, securities, live animals, perishables, plants, liquids, explosives, hazardous products, aerosol cans, gas cannisters, contaminated goods, pollutants, waste, flammable liquids or fuels, toxic or radioactive materials, or any other items that need a controlled environment. Remember to drain the fuel from gasoline engines before storage.