Frequently Asked Questions
So… what is self-storage?
Self-storage is an affordable, efficient way for you to store your life’s possessions in a clean and secure environment. Self-storage makes it easy to store items of all shapes and sizes in one convenient storage location.
How do I use it?
Self-storage at U Store-It can be used several ways:
- As an extension of your home to store those seldom used items
- Store seasonal items such as decorations or sports equipment
- As a business storage solution to help your business grow
- To free up your garage space
How long do I need storage?
U Store-It recognises the need to move your items out when the time is right. Our week to week rentals give you the flexibility to choose just how long you require.
Do I need to have a lock?
You provide the lock ensuring you and only you have access. Don’t have a lock? No problem, we offer a wide range of packing and moving supplies to make you move stress-free. Even better, all these great moving supplies can be found at affordable prices.
How do I get my items to the unit?
Book online, call our depot on 0800 756 9859
Should I insure my goods?
U Store-it can insure your goods for £1.00 per £1000.00 insured per week, as per our insurance policy. Or check with your household insurance for coverage. Remember, if it’s worth storing, it’s worth insuring.
What should I do with appliances?
Refrigerators and/or freezers should be thoroughly dry and stored with doors slightly ajar. Some goods can be stored inside large appliances and boxes can be stacked on top of cookers, refrigerators and freezers. Make sure that cookers and cooking equipment are cleaned before they are stored.
How should I pack my lamps?
Wrap large lamps and place them in boxes and pack delicate lamp shades separately. Do not use newsprint to wrap lamp shades or any other goods that may be damaged by ink stains. Do not store heavy items on cartons containing lamp shades.
How should I pack mirrors?
These items should be stored on end, not flat.
What am I prohibited from storing?
You alone control access to your storage space, therefore, never store illegal goods, cash, securities, live animals, perishables, plants, liquids, explosives, hazardous products, aerosol cans, gas canisters, contaminated goods, pollutants, waste, flammable liquids or fuels, toxic or radioactive materials, or any other items that need a controlled environment. Remember to drain the fuel from gasoline engines before storage.
What are your packing tips?
- Try to use the same size of boxes. This will help efficiently utilise your rental unit space.
- Label all your boxes clearly.
- When disassembling household furniture, tape loose legs and hardware together so you don’t lose them.
- Wrap fine china in plain paper as inked paper may run. U Store-it sells ink-free newsprint sheets for this purpose.
- Pack books flat to protect their spines.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilised as storage places for small household items, pictures, knick-knacks, etc.
- Larger appliances make excellent packing cases for bedding, towels and other linens.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty rubbish bins.
- Leave clothes in dressers, but make certain the drawers are not too heavy.